Testing

Summary of test reports

Thermoshield ®

Energy tests reports

Thermoshield ®

Quality

Thermoshield has undergone a variety of tests that demonstrate its effectiveness and its superior quality. Qualified product testing organizations tested Thermoshield products in a variety of real-life settings involving exposure to things like heat, cold, water, fire, UV rays, and harsh chemicals. Other tests focused on the coatings’ adhesive strength, bonding capabilities, insulation abilities and lifespan.

These tests have provided data that allows Thermoshield to prove that its products can perform as promised. The testing also provides publically available data that any interested party can see for themselves and use to compare Thermoshield to other products on the market.

The tests used the following internationally-accepted organizations’ standards to assess Thermoshield’s capabilities:

  • American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
  • Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
  • Japan Industrial Standards (JIS)

According to ASTM test C1549 performed by R&D; Services for the Cool Roof Rating Council, Thermoshield reflects 89% of the suns’s radiation. This leaves only 11% of the suns’s energy that could be absorbed by the building. However, here is where thermal emittance comes into play. This is a concept that’s a little harder to understand, but extremely important because it truly seperates Thermoshield from products on the market that only deal with solar reflectance. Basically, emittance is the relative ability of the surface to radiate away absorbed heat. So in the case of Thermoshield, it would be the ability to radiate away the 11% of the suns’s energy that wasn’t reflected away already.

DURING SUMMER

During summer, high Solar Reflectivity Index of SRI 110 to SRI 99, which functions on the basis of "Reflectivity of the best white surface and Thermal Emittance of the best black surface", prevents the exterior wall substrate from heating up. This prevents excessive Heat Built Up around the building, ensuring lower temperature of air that is taken in. SRI value of 100 means ZERO Solar Heat gain.

The High Emissivity of Thermoshield will also mean faster dissipation of heat, reducing the tendency for the unit to be a "Hot Lunch Box". According to the ASTM C1371 test performed by the Cool Roof Rating Council, Thermoshield will emit away 90% of the 12% of the sun's energy that was not reflected away already. This means that an additional 10.8% of the sun's energy, on top of the 88% that was reflected, is no longer being absorbed by the structure as heat.

So basically, an astounding 98.8% of the sun's energy is not allowed to become heat in the building. This is why Thermoshield's surface is cool to touch on extremely hot, sunny days. It is like having a R 40 insulation during the summer.

DURING WINTER

During winter: If wind driven rain hits the exterior wall and roof protected by Thermoshield, polymers swell and become watertight (Variable Permeability - coating membrane breading when dry). With ordinary paint, which does not prevent moisture to penetrate the exterior wall - even 1.5% moisture content in the wall with ordinary insulation (Styrofoam, rock wool etc), can reduce the "R" value by as much as whopping 38%! With a complete Thermoshield protection, Roof, Exterior and Interior you can expect 20% - 40% reduction on heating expense It is like having a R 21 insulation in winter.

In general, Thermoshield is not intended to replace the current insulation that these buildings have, but rather to compliment what is existing and make the building much, much more efficient. This in turn will allow your client to significantly reduce the kilowatts consumed to keep the buildings in the temperature range required.

Efficiency

Thermoshield - Tile test

Thermoshield - Hammer test

Thermoshield - Thermal Properties

Thermoshield - Flame demonstration

Thermoshield - Demo adhesion durability elongation